Saturday, December 2, 2006

Yoga

I did it! I went to my first Ashtanga yoga class. Needless to say I am feeling pretty spent. It was very different from Bikram in that the room was not heated, there are no mirrors and the flow is constant. I turned out to be the only one wearing shorts which was NOT a good idea as the woman in front of me likely got to see more of me than she wanted! I'll know better next time. I really like the fact that they are not as militant as Bikram and because the room is not heated, you can do your practice at home once you have memorized the flow.

Now to the one thing I didn't like. Lots of chanting. Too much chanting in my opinion. I come to get an ass-kicking workout and have never been a fan of the chanting and the "om, shanti" stuff. They do not expect you to do this (which is great since if it were Bikram you would likely get kicked out) and I just sat there and pretended to meditate. I hear each teacher is different though and I happened to get the one who enjoys the 20 minutes of chanting and music playing at the end of class.

I was feeling pretty spent and queasy after class and to top it off I get to my car and find that someone has dented the side!! No note, no anything. How lovely. Was that my karma for not chanting?

Oh and my daughter has the flu :( I'm trying to look on the bright side and that is that she allows us to hold her close and rock her. At her age you gotta take what you can get.

1 comment:

jujubug said...

Poor baby! I hope she feels better soon *hugs*

I'm glad you had a nice yoga class :) I feel ya' on the chanting part - not every teacher practices it - so maybe you could try another instructor if you like... I was never into chanting much either, and I prefer to avoid it when possible, but I have had a few classes that it actually felt good to chant. Either way, I think its great to experience different kinds of yoga.
Sorry to hear about the dent in your car! Grr!