Thursday, January 11, 2007

Food

I love food. I love to make it (when I have time) , look at it, read books and magazines about it, and watch people prepare it. I am addicted to The Food Network. If the TV is on during the day (not often) it is ALWAYS on The Food Network. My 3 favorites are Ellie Krieger, Giada DeLaurentiis and Ina Garten (Barefoot Contessa). I get absolutely mesmerized by watching them cook. I hope my daughter shares this love.

I love to ask people what their favorite meal or food memory is. I have so many. A few that stand out: 1)Eating an early dinner with my dad in Monterey, CA on the way to visit UC Santa Cruz. The restaurant was on pilings on the water and was called The Fish Hopper. We could see sea otter frolicking in the kelp just 50 feet away. I had the BEST pasta primavera there. 2)Eating a pizza with my fiance (at the time) in my college dorm room while stoned. I remember I had taken out my contacts and had my glasses on, we were listening to Bob Marley's Catch A Fire album and I was IN HEAVEN! He started laughing hysterically because I was drooling and didn't even know it. He had come to surprise me for the weekend. 3)My cousin Karen made a beef tenderloin with a mustard sauce over it one summer night. I ate SO much - I couldn't believe how great it was. Neither of us has been able to re-create it. I'll stop here. It's funny how great food memories are often not necessarily the food, but the ambiance, the people/person whom you shared it with and the circumstance that brought you there.

I am over my emotional crisis. It was mostly due to the fact that my husband was gone for the past two days and I was totally flipped out over my daughters "tongue-tie". After doing a lot of research and learning how common it is and my husband telling me how not a big deal it is, I feel better. We did make a consult appointment with an oral surgeon on Feb. 6 just to get his opinion. Just before dinner my daughter stuck out her tongue. You would have thought I won the lottery. I was excited. It wasn't far, but hey it was out! Anyway - she has a robust flap of skin above her two front teeth that attaches to the underside of her lip too. You can't tell unless you lift up her lip but the dentist showed me and said it could cause a gap in her permanent 2 front teeth (her baby teeth already have this). I think we'll likely have that clipped for sure. Ugh, I hate thinking about it.

I had a dream about Africa the other night. I was on a safari and was sitting in a hot tub under the sky talking to some strangers. AAAAhhhhhhhhh so nice. What a cool trip to take with your kids. I WILL do this one day.

I'm craving s'mores. I think I'll make myself one. Good night!

No comments: