Thursday, May 28, 2009

Thing One & Thing Two

Yeah, yeah, I know. I'm no good at blogging regularly.

A couple things:

Thing One: I've been doing some research on cruising with a child. The hubs and I LOVE cruises like we never thought we would. Everyone thought we were nuts for doing a 15 day cruise for our honeymoon (it was both our first cruises). After I got over being so damn restless I finally realized that there really is NOTHING to do. That's hard for me. But I managed. Oh? The pool? Yeah...let's lay there. Maybe read a bit. Hmmm...I'm hungry. So you go eat. Then you sit and gaze at the water. Rinse. Repeat x 20. BLISS.

Anyway back to my point. The hubs REALLY wants to do a cruise with K and I'm hesitant. In doing research I've found that many who do do cruises with their youngin's all comment on and rate the kids clubs. Now, I know I may be a bit of a spaz when it comes to these kinds of things but I must say I was appalled by some of things I read. Many parents commented on how they'd leave their child (some as young as 6 months) in the kids club/nursery while going ashore to explore. Uh....WHAAAAAAAAAT???!!! I would NEVER and I mean N - E - V - E - R leave my child on a ship with strangers. Especially not when it is a known fact that they pay employees pennies and work them to the bone. I've heard too many horror stories. I just couldn't believe what I was reading.

My biggest fear is that K will go overboard. It may sound silly but on a recent cruise I noticed how some decks have wide openings where a child could just go right in. And my child LOVES water and she is FEARLESS. It gives me anxiety just thinking about it. And how relaxing will that be for any of us if all I'm doing is obsessing over that?

No one mentions any of that in their reviews. They really only speak on the quality of the kids clubs. Am I nuts? I must be. It's a family vacation. I want my child with me. Now, I guess I get it if they are a bit older and WANT to go play for a bit. But all night? All day? Many of them are staffed from 8am to 2am!! Yeah. 2 A.M.!!!!!


Thing Two: I've been hearing a lot lately how people say "time flies" as it relates to your children. I get it. It kind of does. But being a stay at home mom is such a bonus in that respect. I get to be with her all day (well mostly) and experience all her firsts with her. I don't feel like I am missing anything. Yes, there are times when I long for the next phase but I genuinely feel like I'm soaking up every second of each stage and phase of her growth. As much as I may moan and groan for the hardships of this job, that is one perk that I find simply amazing. I am blessed.

I think I felt the need to express that because people often say to me, "Don't you want to experience that all over again and have another child?" Well....no. I don't. I feel fulfilled. I'm happy with one. I really am. Sometimes I long for pregnancy and breastfeeding again (two things I LOVED) but you know, not the other stuff. And I've one helluva easy, awesome, amazing child.

1 comment:

Laura Lee said...

I'm jealous about Thing Two.
I envy that you don't miss a thing. It's my major conflict of late....
I'm not sure how I feel about the cruise either. I've always wanted to go on one, but D is not into it at all. Can't even imagine throwing Bubs into the mix. Hubs would be all, NO EFFING WAY.

But, a part of me thinks OH WHAT FUN!
Write more.